Singing The Bones: A 4-part live Webinar Exploring Ancestries Through Myth & Song
June 3rd, June 17th, July 1st, July 15th, 5-7pm PST
In this 4-part live webinar series Iranian-American artist & scholar Lydia Violet will guide you inexploring at least one of your ancestries through myth and song. By the end of this course you will have a deeper understanding of the cosmologies/myths/stories held within your cultural lineage(s), a medicinal endeavor in our time. You will also be supported in discovering and learning at least one song from your heritages. You will delve into discovering the musical styles, instrumentations, customs, and rituals singing in your blood. You will see the connections and differentiations across cultures. And most importantly you will connect more deeply with your ancestors, discovering what relationship with them means for you.
This class is open to music explorers of all levels!
Week 1: June 3rd
- Introduction to exploring the cosmologies and cultures held within the connections in your lineage.
- De-orphaning the parts of us that have been disconnected.
- Rooting in our own lineages before fetishizing others. Cultural exchange, inspiration, and appropriation.
- The Nature of mythic truth- how myths & stories may convey a different kind of truth than we are accustomed to.
Week 2: June 17th
- Bringing in some results from our mythic investigations.
- The role of archetypes: who they are, and how we use them. Working with archetypes we are drawn to.
- Common themes/stories across cultures.
- Who were the storytellers? What was their cultural role?
Week 3: July 1st
- Warming up the voice: healing the split through song
- Exploring beyond the standard vocal ranges we are used to speaking/singing in.
- Language: learning the sounds in our blood.
- Drum, wind, string, sing- What does this culture play?
Week 4: July 15th
- Reflections from sitting with song. How has this journey affected your mind, body, and soul
- The tip of the iceberg: continuing this work.
- Voluntary song share.
Students will be placed in discussion groups according to time zones that can meet twice over the course of the program. Here you will be able to reflect and share more about the content of your process, and listen to the reflections of others taking this journey alongside you.
Classes will take place 4 Monday evenings 5-7pm PST.
Dates are June 3rd, June 17th, July 1st, July 15th